Words can hardly express the realisation of so much that has come together in the last few months. We completed our 10th , fully evaluated Timor Awakening program, involving a contingent of 38, including 7 couples. We opened the Veterans’ English Language Institute (VELI) and Ian Hampel ( accommodation) House at Same. We got to have key engagement meetings with Darren Chester, Minister for Veterans Affairs in Dili, where he saw and heard of our work from TA Participants, key Timor Leste Government Leaders, key Embassy officials, as well as, fellow MP Luke Gosling.
In an amazing step of solidarity, he invited a representative group of us to have breakfast with him on his final day in Dili, he endorsed our work, and has asked that I send more information to him about the “Promoting Wellness” and Post Traumatic Growth model, we advocate. This is the strategic breakthrough that we have sought from Day 1. A recent article in the Catholic Leader (HERE) highlights some of our successes, as do some recent programs on the ABC HERE and SBS HERE.
- My husband has now come home to me after 20 years absence.
- My husband and I have really connected again, after illness that had torn us apart.
- Seeing the Timorese appreciation and how our presence has improved their lives, has deeply moved me.
- I’ve finally found my purpose in life.
- I’ve found more hope in 10 days than in the last 3 years of searching.
- I will now live in the Light of today rather than the darkness of the last 20 yrs.
- I’m excited now about the rest of my life.
- Forgiveness- the Timorese show it – now I can too.
- My life has been changed for the better in a big way- and I’ve still got lots more to learn.
- This has made me want to get the potential out of every day.